At Premier Inn, we take our responsibility to both people and our planet seriously. From everyday efficiencies to bold new innovations, we will always look for ways to reduce, reuse and recycle the resources we use.
To mark Earth Day, we are making an industry-leading sustainability commitment which will see carbon emissions intensity cut in half by 2025 and by as much as 88% by 2050. This is all part of a wider Whitbread initiative which has set a science-based carbon target (SBT).
For us and all the Whitbread brands, we will aim to:
- Move towards zero gas in all new-build Premier Inn hotels
- Move towards green gas across Premier Inn hotels
- Maintain our commitment to use renewable energy in the UK and in international operations where possible
- Invest in efficient appliances to reduce gas consumption
- Reduce emissions from company car fleets and distribution vehicles by moving to more electric, hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles
- Install solar panels to support the use of renewable energy across our estate
Whitbread’s award-winning environmental strategy* has already made significant efforts to cut carbon by improving efficiency wherever it can. All UK owned and operated sites use 100% renewable electricity and have invested in energy efficient equipment including LED lights and heat recovery in Premier Inn hotel bathrooms. What’s more, 113 of our hotels use solar panels to generate electricity on site and we have switched 100,000 standard lightbulbs with LED lamps saving 10,000 tonnes of carbon.
Whitbread Director of Sustainability James Pitcher said: “Our sustainability programme is part of the way we operate at Whitbread and helps us to ensure we always act as a force for good. All responsible businesses must recognise - and address - the impact they have, not simply because it is the right thing to do, but because there is no stronger foundation for any successful business than clear values and robust ethical principles. We are delighted to confirm our latest sustainability initiative will cut our greenhouse gas emissions intensity in half and we reaffirm our commitment to constantly challenging ourselves for new ways to become even more environmentally sustainable”.
Whitbread’s sustainability programme Force For Good demonstrates the company’s commitment to operating in a way that respects people and the planet, making a meaningful contribution to the communities it serves and creating employment opportunities for all.
* Business in the Community Environmental Leadership Award 2016