Unfortunately, due to the current COVID-19 situation we postponing the selection of winners of this competition to a later date. The new dates and any more information on this competition will be posted on this page as soon as we have more details.
Short Story Competition Terms and Conditions
1. This Promotion is open to residents of the United Kingdom aged 15 and under, excluding employees of the Promoter, its agents and anyone professionally associated with this Promotion. Entrant’s must obtain the permission of their parent or guardian prior to participating in this Promotion.
2. For the purposes of this Promotion, the winners shall be defined as a prize winner aged 15 or under who is represented by their parent or guardian.
3. No purchase necessary; however, internet access and a valid email address is required.
4. Promotion Period: Enter between 09.00 GMT on the 24th December 2019 and 09.00 GMT on the 31st March 2020 inclusive.
5. To Enter: Write an engaging 500 word short story centred around the theme of relaxation or inspiration and send it to StoryPremierInn@golin.com along with your details (the name and contact information of your parent or guardian, your name, age and location in the United Kingdom) to be entered into the competition. The Promoter reserves the right to contact the parent / guardian of entrants to ensure that their consent has been received.
6. Only the first 1000 entries will be judged. After the first 1000 entries have been received, the Promotion Period will close, and Premier Inn will communicate this. Any entries submitted after the close of the Promotion Period will not be valid and will not be entered into the competition.
7. Further Entry Conditions:
a. Entrants must only submit stories that are their own work.
b. If an entry includes a person, the entry cannot include the name, likeness or other feature identifying any person, living or dead, without the permission of that person.
c. The entry cannot describe or depict any illegal activity or violation of any law.
d. By submitting an entry, each entrant grants to the Promoter a non-revocable, worldwide, royalty-free licence to use the copyright and other intellectual property rights vesting in their entry for all purposes connected with this Promotion, including but not limited to display on the Promoter’s social media channels, the Promoter’s website and any other website of the Promoter or its agents/contractors choosing and use of the entry, or part(s) of the entry, in marketing materials relating to this Promotion for up to one year.
e. Entrants hereby represent and warrant that they have all rights necessary to grant the licence and rights provided for in these Terms and Conditions and that all materials forming part of their entry to this Promotion, and any use of such materials by or on behalf of the Promoter, comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations and do not infringe or otherwise violate the intellectual property or other rights of any third party, including but not limited to, ownership, copyrights, trademarks, patents, logos, licensing rights, rights of publicity or privacy or any other intellectual property rights.
8. Maximum of 1 entry is permitted per person during the Promotion Period.
9. The Prizes:
a. Regional Finalist Prizes: The 24 regional finalists (1 x under 10s and 1 x 11-15 per region) will each have their winning story published.
b. National Winner Prizes: The 2 national winners will each win a 1 x 2-night stay at a Premier Inn Hotel family room including breakfast (subject to availability), and have their winning story published.
10. Further Prize Details and Conditions:
a. The winners must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during their stay, and stays must be in accordance with the terms and conditions on the Premier Inn website.
b. If a booking is cancelled by the winners, no alternative bookings will be made and for the avoidance of doubt, no compensation and/or refund will be provided.
c. Accommodation at Premier Inn Hotels in the United Kingdom is subject to availability at the time of booking. Alternatives may be offered depending on availability.
d. Premier Inn family rooms are for 2 adults and 2 children (aged 15 or under) only.
e. For the avoidance of doubt, the Prize does not include travel/transportation, accommodation, food, beverages, souvenirs, gratuities, car parking charges, excess baggage, additional excursions and attractions or any other costs of a personal nature (including spending money) that are not explicitly set out in these Terms and Conditions and neither the Promoter nor any provider of any part of the Prize will be responsible for any such costs.
f. The winners must inform the Promoter of any wheelchair or any similar access needs. The Promoter will endeavor to ensure that adequate steps are taken to cater for any such needs.
g. The Prize must be booked by 30th April 2020 and taken by 1st January 2021 (subject to availability) but excludes Christmas and New Year (20th December 2020 – 1st January 2021), Valentine’s Day, Easter, School Holidays and Bank Holiday periods in the United Kingdom.
h. A valid credit or debit card will be required to check in to your room and will be used to guarantee any incidentals such as in-room calls or services.
i. The winners are solely responsible for any additional charges incurred at the hotel during their stay, including, without limitation, costs of meals, drinks, additional nights and services together with related taxes.
11. Winner Selection: The first 1000 valid entries received during the Promotion Period (subject to moderation) will be independently judged by PromoVeritas within 14 working days from the close of the Promotion Period to select 120 shortlisted entries (5 entries for under 10s and 5 entries for 11-15s per region: London; South West; South East; North West; North East; Yorkshire; East Anglia; Wales; Northern Ireland; Scotland; East Midlands; West Midlands) based on the following criteria:
a. Originality / Creativity (Max 20 points).
b. Engaging / entertaining (Max 20 points).
c. Centred around the theme of relaxation or inspiration (Max 20 points).
The shortlisted entries will be judged by a panel of judges, within 10 days of shortlisted entrant selection to select 2 regional finalists per region (1 x under 10s and 1 x 11-15s) and two overall national winners (1 x under 10 year old winner and 1 x 11 – 15 year old winner) based on the same criteria.
12. Winner Notification: The winners will be contacted via the email address used on entry within 5 working days of Winner Selection and will be required to respond to confirm eligibility and acceptance of the Prizes, within 14 days of initial contact. In the event that a winner does not respond to the initial contact within 14 days, the Promoter reserves the right to disqualify that winner. If a winner is disqualified, the Promoter reserves the right to award the prize to a reserve selected in the same manner. Reserve winners may have less time to respond.
13. The winners and their parent or guardian will be contacted within 28 days of Winner Notification to arrange their prize.
14. Moderation: The Promoter reserves the right to reject entries which, in the reasonable opinion of the Promoter:
a. are in breach of the Terms and Conditions;
b. contain any content that is offensive, obscene, sexual, derogatory, defamatory, violent, abusive, harassing, threatening, objectionable with respect to race, religion, origin or gender, which could reflect negatively upon the name, reputation or goodwill of the Promoter or any brand partner, or which is otherwise unsuitable for publication;
c. contains or refers to any third-party brand or reference any third-party names, logos and/or trademarks;
d. promotes any political agenda;
e. defames, misrepresents, or insult other people or companies, including, but not limited to the Promoter (including its partners);
f. include the names, likenesses, photographs or similar of any individual without their express permission;
g. contain immoral or obscene behaviour;
h. condone or encourage violent or anti-social behaviour;
i. cause offence on the ground of religion, gender, sexual orientation, nudity, disability or age;
j. refer to any brand other than the Promoter; or
k. represent a danger to health and safety or cause fear or distress.
15. By entering the Promotion, entrants consent to any short story submit being used internally and externally for marketing and publicity related purposes and understand that such stories may be published on both internal and external channels including social media channels, in the Promoter’s annual report, on the Promoter’s website, other websites or elsewhere with or without credit being made.
16. Provided no objection is received, the surname and county of the winners will be made available by writing to StoryPremierInn@golin.com with “Premier Inn WL” in the subject line, one month after the close of the Promotion, for a period of 8 weeks. The winners may object to their surname or county of residence being published or request for the amount of information being published to be reduced during Winner Notification. Without prejudice, the Promoter will provide this information to the Advertising Standards Authority on reasonable request.
17. The Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for monetary value or for any other form of compensation. If for any reason any element of a Prizes is not available, the Promoter reserves the right, at its sole discretion to substitute another prize for it, of equal or greater value.
18. In the event that the Promotion is not capable of running as planned for reasons including but not limited to tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, dishonesty, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Promotion, the Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process or does not comply with these Terms & Conditions and to cancel, modify or suspend the Promotion or invalidate any affected entries.
19. No responsibility can be taken for entries which are lost, delayed, corrupted, damaged, misdirected or incomplete or which cannot be delivered for any technical, delivery or other reason. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
20. This Promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. You understand that you are providing your information to the Promoter and not to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and they have no liability for any element of this Promotion.
21. The Promoter together with any associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense or damage which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with this Promotion or accepting or using a Prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. Nothing will exclude the Promotor’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
22. An entry must be made directly by the individual entering the Promotion. Bulk entries from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. Incomplete or illegible entries and entries submitted by macros or other automated means together with entries which do not satisfy the requirements of these Terms & Conditions in full will be disqualified and will be not be counted. If it becomes apparent that an entrant is using a computer(s) to circumvent this condition by, for example, the use of ‘script’, ‘brute force’, masking their identity by manipulating IP addresses, using identities other than their own or any other automated means in order to increase that entrant’s entries into the Promotion in a way that is not consistent with the rules of the Promotion, that entrant’s entries will be disqualified and any prize awarded will be void.
23. Should an act, omission, event or circumstance occur which is beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter and which prevents the Promoter from complying with these Terms & Conditions the Promoter will not be liable for any failure to perform or delay in performing its obligations.
24. The Promoter may refuse to award a Prize in the event of any entrant’s fraud, dishonesty, breach or non-entitlement under these Terms & Conditions or seek recovery of its value if the Prizes have been awarded.
26. If any provisions of these Terms & Conditions are judged to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, this will not affect or impact the continuation in full force and effect the remainder of the provisions.
27. By entering this Promotion, all entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these Terms & Conditions.
28. In the event of a discrepancy between these Terms & Conditions and the details in any promotional material, the details in the Terms & Conditions will prevail.
29. These Terms & Conditions are governed by English law and their interpretation and application will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Promoter: Premier Inn, Whitbread PLC, 120 Holborn, London, EC1N 2TD.